Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Other Helpful Ideas from Our January Meeting

Surviving Sacrament Meeting/Mass:
Bring a book of photos of extended family for children to look through.
Turn 5x7 Gospel Art Pictures or other pictures of the Savior or scripture stories/characters into lacing cards.
Print off coloring pages from The Friend magazine
Make a gospel-oriented BINGO-like game with felt and velcro. (Chelsea Whitby for details.)
Draw stick figures and have your kids design their clothes.
Learn hymns as a family.
Speak the words in your child's ear while they sing with the congregation.

Family Prayer & Scripture Study:
Listen for a word or phrase, and at the end, tell me if I said it. (I tried this, Lindsey. Thank you!)
Let kids follow along with/look at the illustrated Book of Mormon (or other) Stories while you read from the actual book of scripture.

Book Recommendations:
Raising Your Spirited Child (author?)
The Happiest Toddler on the Block (author?)

Other:
Kaylyn asked, "When do you say your morning prayers?" I'm not sure if she got any practical suggestions (certainly not from me!), but it made me write down: Say morning personal prayers.

Both Lindsey and Tricia do a variation on the following:
At dinnertime, they take turns sharing events of the day and how they felt. Lindsey gives her kids emotions (Tell me a time you felt nervous/happy. Tell me a time you felt frustrated/grateful.) Tricia's family shares their High/Low moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment